Popular Posts

Thursday, January 13, 2011

This is perfect to come home to on a cold day like today!  It is my recipe for ham and beans.  The night before I soaked 1 lb of dry pinto beans in twice the water in a covered bowl.  This morning around 6:30 I rinsed the beans and poured them in a large crock pot, I added 1 1/2 pounds of ham chunks, include some bones!, one large onion chopped, one can italian diced tomatoes and one can mexican style diced tomatoes, pepper to taste and of course, you see it in almost every recipe, garlic powder! I added enough water to come about 1 inch above the ham and bean mixture, cover the crockpot and set on low, by the time 5 rolled around and I made cornbread, the beans were perfect!

2 comments:

  1. I made beans a while back and it seemed like they never got soft enough they cooked forever in the crockpot. IDK maybe I like them too soft. So I guess you buy a bone in ham and you can cut through the bone? I've only ever bought a ham with no bone. But beans and cornbread is one of my favorite my mom makes them very good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use ham steak,you will use it all and it has a small bone in it. And we had the problem with the hard beans the first time I tried, and they never got soft, but if you use enough water, they do get mushy soft, I promise! :)

    ReplyDelete